Interpret at Own Risk.

This dream began, at least what I can recall, on a forested hill overlooking a dilapidated city. It looked vaguely dangerous, and many of the houses were in various states of ruin. I had never seen this place before, but I was fairly certain that it was Anderson that I was looking at. Andrew was with me, but he had forgotten to bring his shoes, and was fairly certain that I was taking the long way, so he was going back to the house to get something for his feet and meet up with Jonathan. He left me up on the hill, and felt that it was fairly urgent that I get going rather quickly, but I was wearing a suit and oxfords, so--and this made sense in the dream, I left my jacket and shoes behind so I could run faster.

Upon reaching the outskirts of the city, I realized that I needed to go to the library, I also realized that at some point I had lost my shirt and trousers during the run, and that I was wearing nothing but my underwear. It was cloudy, and at this point it had begun to rain; the people out and about on the street took no notice of me as I went running through in my drawers. The grubby city gave way around me, to large red-brick buildings, well kept and impressive. I wondered what Purdue was doing in Anderson, but it still did not dissuade me from my quest. I had to find the library. I continued to run about, calling Jonathan and Andrew on my phone--which seemed to just magically appear in my hand every so often--to try and give them directions to find me.

I kept running around the city/university, until finally I came to what I knew must be the library. Once inside, I found it impossibly vast. one giant chamber, with spiral staircases going up many stories to tiers further up. The bottom floor had reading desks running all the way down the center. Everything was dark wood and marble, and this was the first point that I felt distinctly uncomfortable that I was mostly naked. Now that I was here, however, I remembered why I needed to find the library. The librarians needed to tell me where Jonathan, Andrew, and I were supposed to go to dinner that evening. The librarians were all in the Gardens/Cafe that was a giant transept along one side of the library. I went to find them, and they told me where I needed to go. I realized that I had not been taking the long way around in the beginning, like Andrew had said, but had gone exactly the right way. I was smugly satisfied.

It was impressing itself on me more and more, however, that I really needed to find some clothes before I went to this dinner.

I resolved to go back to the ruins to find out where I had left mine.

I took of through the city on foot again. Now I was avoiding Jonathan and Andrew: I could not let them find me and take me to dinner before I had found my clothes. I made my way back toward the hill. I was sure that all of my clothes would be there. They were not there, and it turned out that the dinner was being held on the hill, where they had just finished building the reception hall, but when I went in, it was not a dinner, it was church. Now I was distinctly uncomfortable. When it came time for communion, I was not going to go up, but for some reason they came out to us, and, upon discovering me in my half clad state, pastor promptly excommunicated me.

After the service I tried to find him, but he was already missing. I found my clothes outside--I just remembered that I had buried them--and went off to try and find him. Jonathan and Andrew had joined me in the hunt, and then I jolted awake.

What cannot possibly come through in this, was how very vivid this dream was. Even now, hours after the fact, I can still remember parts of it in near picture detail.

Also, I woke up with my comforter entirely twisted and turned around, my sheets in total disarray; I wonder if I was actually sleep running in bed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired, not Sleepy.

To Every Hobo a Suit...or Not

Welfare and the Promise and Problems of Democracy in Contemporary America.