Back to School.

Every year, about this same time, the unwashed masses descend on my place of work, and trash it righteously. They are not buying presents this time, oh no, buying presents would not make them quite this angry, or not all of them. The seething masses are angry because they are spending their money on their children (again!). That's right, all of this money, all of this clamor, just so little AJ--gender unconfirmed--can be ready for school.

A great number of them are incensed that they have to buy to fulfill uniform requirements, of all things, and that AJ can't just wear his Nike shorts and tank tops. Many of the rest of the parents are enraged, because their AJs have a preference for Nike gear, which is so derned expensive.

AJ's and AJ's parents agree on one thing, however: it is almost worth it, since that little rugrat will soon be out of their hair.

I wonder how many of this actually feel this way, or whether it is all the same false, callous, bravado of 13 year-old boys speaking of girls in the way the imagine men speak. Not to say that many men do not speak as they imagine, but just that they are putting on an act. Is it the same amongst parents? Are they merely playing the part of the super-consciously long-suffering parent who is glad to see the kiddo go? Or is it just what they think they are supposed to say. Minutes ago I was reflecting on poserdom, and perhaps there is some in this. Perhaps these parents are showing me some of what they think I expect to see: what someone like me might type as normal and healthy. They are so interesting and busy and important that they will be glad to be rid of the distraction posed by their children.

As to the expense, I have seen many of them before, and often spending much greater amounts on their own clothing, and in some cases on a regular basis. If they begrudge the expenditure, they clearly do not begrudge it to themselves, but only when spent on others. They do not stress at spending money, just at spending money on school clothes. I could spin this a couple ways. In one case, perhaps the worst, the are merely frustrated on spending money on clothing which is not for them, which might be true for some. Or else, it might be that they are frustrated with spending money on clothes which will not fit next year; highly possible. It could be that they are just so busy, that the extra effort and expenditure are a bit much. I like to pretend, sometimes, that one of the contributing factors to their stress is that they are going to miss their children. Hey, you never know.

The attitude of the children is another thing entirely. While they are almost always happy that I start talking to them as well--you know, as if they were rational human beings, even if pint sized--they seldom seem to display much happiness at the prospect of going back to school.

While I do not exactly understand their situation, this always puzzles me just a little, since I am practically quivering with anticipation at the approach of classes--for a distraction, for learnings and stuff, who knows?--and would assume that I would find at least the occasional excited kiddo. Instead, I get a bunch of head shakes.

There are a few schools of head-shake as well, however. One--my favourite--is the head-shake followed by an impish smile. This one speaks volumes. Dijon's mouth says no, but his eyes say yes. They, perhaps like their parents, are giving me the answer that they expect me to expect, but there is too much excitement there for the answer to be entirely true.

The majority, unfortunately, are genuinely glum, and for this I blame our factory schools and one size fits all education (which nicely foreshadows a future possible rant post). These children dread school because it is a place of boredom and discomfort, interspersed with time to see their friends...which is what they just spent all of their summer doing.

Still, children can be drudgery and we are a selfish people, so the attitude that says it is glad to be rid of kids is to be expected. I think it is also basically true that conventional school is basically tedious and does little to cater to individual strengths and interests. Zum Beispiel: stick in in geology and social services courses rather than History and German...you could practically watch me shrivel. Granted, I would do well; partly because I have such a wide variety of interests, but mostly because I'm so terribly clever. Still, I would not be the same, and I do not know if I would maintain my excellence separated from the things I love. I kind of doubt it.

I have no idea where I'm going with all of this. I think I might have just wanted to muse on something which has so traumatized me over the last couple weeks. I really could do without back to school. I really want to get out of the mall, but I just don't see that happening soon. Can't I just do something outdoorsy until school is done?

Comments

  1. While sorry you had to put up with the crazy, stressful back-to-school scene, I have to admit I found your post quite entertaining. I enjoy your insights, my terribly clever grandson. (Yes, indeed you are!)

    Your observations about poserdom were especially interesting to me, and reminded me of occasions when I was obligated to witness that very phenomenon in adults (martyrs, actually) who did not appear to be lacking in self esteem. Playing the persecuted, high-roller providers, these poor fellows (highly compensated executives) would wail about the money they had to spend on wives and children. One of these victims was so self-absorbed as to attempt to impress me/play on my sympathy because he was having to come up with private college expense money for one of his children at the very time that your mother and I found ourselves trying to determine the best way to share our last $20 until payday when she was at IU. Since the fine fellow was my boss, I had to make the appropriate sympathetic remarks with undertones of admiration. Ohhhhh, myyyyyyy. Same syndrome, different setting.

    Anyway, I like reading your stuff!

    Love you,
    gra

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tired, not Sleepy.

To Every Hobo a Suit...or Not

Welfare and the Promise and Problems of Democracy in Contemporary America.