An Afternoon Movie.

Last night was a pleasant little affair. I sat for four hours listening to Rogers and Hammerstein--which I am hardly nuts about--in tones so flat that I could almost swear that the bulldog painted on the wall behind me started baying. Out came Jonathan; a dazzling bright spot complete with rich and room filling voice. Jonathan and his charming Lisle, however, quickly faded away to allow more time for the weak male lead and the painfully gay and tonedeaf max; poor max, who had no sense of comedic timing.

I still keep going back to the one energetic and acceptably well acted scene of the whole performance; that made the whole thing worth it. Casanova the Hun did a masterful job.

(Nine or ten hours elapse)

I had a fantastic morning, which included me discovering a baby that really likes me, a beautiful service complete with insightful sermon that confirms that Holiness can read my mind (will have to concentrate on throwing up walls), and lunch with excellent company.

The plans for that afternoon were simple; just drop me off to watch Das Weisse Band, for which act I am to receive extra credit. The first bright spot came with the knowledge that it was only going to cost me $3. The second came upon seeing my classmate, Brian, seated in the auditorium; at least I would have company. That was the last bright spot.

The movie was well directed, well acted, well written, well shot, and positively terrible. I asked Brian for his first thoughts on the movie. He responded that he thought the movie was depraved, which was interesting because Winston had described it with that exact same word. The word fits. They did not have to show a lot of the ugliness that was present in that movie. Instead, they alluded to things in such a way that it was infinitely more graphic than just seeing the depravity. It was there, but cloaked in the very darkest shrouds which imagination can devise when it has the help of morbidly sick suggestion.

Would I recommend this movie to others? No. I could appreciate the skill, but after watching this film I felt like I needed chocolate and a hot shower. The film leaves you with no resolution to the crisis, only questions and some hints that would point to really disturbing answers. By the end you hate all of the characters, excepting two, and get this vague idea that you have only seen the very surface of much greater underlying problems.

Why did it have to be a rainy day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired, not Sleepy.

To Every Hobo a Suit...or Not

Welfare and the Promise and Problems of Democracy in Contemporary America.