Think on Feet...Feetnotes!

Between last night and this morning I had a minor panic thing.

In German, we were assigned to find a German job application, and write a cover letter to hand in with our CV. I had a minor issue. In the course of several hours of hard search, I was not able to find a single job in Germany for which I was remotely qualified. Even German internships require that you have had prior internship or work inexperience in the chosen field.

Later, still panicking, I met up with Dr. Roberts, who laughed, grinned, and said that she should have stressed that our ads could just be made up. It is, apparently, the case in Germany right now, that many young Germans are going through four or five Internships before ever getting a serious job. So someone like me, from the American way of doing things, would be competing for low level internships with 25 year old Germans with B.A.s and two or three internships under their belts.

No wonder it is so extraordinarily hard to change career in Germany. :-/

That said, when I finally had this conversation with her, I had about an hour and a half to write a cover letter and put together a fake ad. It was lucky that I remembered at this time that a local law office seeking interns had sent out a message to the history majors, and I was able to do a quick translation on this piece to make it work for my ad.

The cover letter came to me more easily than I expected, so I'll be eager to get it back and see how many times I just slipped into English for a few sentences. If my German was actually German, then the speed with which i churned out that letter is good, if not....not good. ;-p

Alright, this has been a pleasant break, but soon it will be time to finish off this pesky little Polybius paper, which, although I love the topic, still constitutes a minor annoyance and item on the to do list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired, not Sleepy.

To Every Hobo a Suit...or Not

Welfare and the Promise and Problems of Democracy in Contemporary America.