Travails.

Tests can be a lot of fun; the equivalent of a high octane Sporcle quiz, dealing only in interesting information. Some tests, however, are more akin to seventy-five minute torture sessions.

I had one of these last week, and it was not a matter of the subject matter being beyond me, but more a function of needing to write out 3 major essays and one minor essay--after the 30 multi choice-- in the time allotted. I felt like my hand was going to fall off at the end, and I had just barely managed to scribble out the last essay in outline form.

After this debacle, I was on my way to German in the language lab, and feeling slightly crumby. There must have been some kind of magic in the upholstery of the chair I chose, because I had just lowered myself into it when I was galvanized into decisive action. I went to my professor, told said professor that I had not finished in a satisfactory manner, and requested permission to type my essays next time.

So far was my professor from objecting to my typing the next installment, he offered my the opportunity to redo the entire test, with more time if needed. I declined to retake the whole test, but did get to finish my essay on Rousseau, which was excellent.

But if I thought that my troubles were over, I was so wrong. Two days later I had a presentation in German. This was not going to be a problem. I had my notes into neat bullets, my info was good, and I had already practiced the entire presentation twice; both times very smooth. Before class I was able to speak in German with the professor and the other students. Everything was going well....

When it came to my turn I was still absolutely confident, until I actually started. To say that I drew a blank would be false. I did not draw a blank, but rather, the entirety of my presentation came crashing to the forefront of my mind all at once, leaving me as stunned as a freshly clubbed baby seal.

I did not really begin to reclaim my mojo until midway through, which is going to be tough on my grade. That thought did not help my recovery, any more than the fact that I was screwing up in front of a group of lovely women--never helps.

Like I said, I did not remaster myself until the latter half, but was able to salvage a bit. On the bright side, mine was definitely not the worst, and I was one of only two people who went along with the instructions and did not read a written presentation. There were also five people who failed to have the presentation ready, so we all get to be mediocre together!

I resumed my seat, and then proceeded to rapidly regain my ability to speak German. It only seems to kick off when there is something at stake, id est, my GPA! ;-p

Comments

  1. I've taken Spanish (6 years in school), Greek (3 years) and Hebrew (2 years), not to mention a smattering of German (about 1 month). My problem is, I've never been able to *think* in foreign languages. I have enough trouble thinking in English--which, I admit, sometimes feels like a foreign language.

    Don't worry. Some women find screwing up in front of them to be endearing. Well, so I hear, anyway. It seems to be the case with Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Travails.

    Unless you're talking a Cornish architect and his progeny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. When you write a command blogpost in the early AM, spell so well you will not. ;-p

    I even know how the word Travails is rightly spelled, but sometimes my fingers run away with themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tired, not Sleepy.

To Every Hobo a Suit...or Not

Welfare and the Promise and Problems of Democracy in Contemporary America.